Many of you have asked how the current questions and issues surrounding the denomination will affect the Foundation and Development Company. The short answer is that we don’t know for certain – only time and prayer will tell.
You may be aware of the key elements in the forthcoming timeline:
- In August, the Commission on The Way Forward issued its report and findings
- In October, the Judicial Council will meet to review the 3 submitted plans and their constitutionality within the United Methodist Book of Discipline
- In November, any other plans and legislative proposals will be reviewed in preparation for the February Special Session of the General Conference
- The Special Session of the General Conference will be held February 23 – 26 in St. Louis
- The Virginia Annual Conference will be held June 20 – 22, 2019 in Roanoke
- The General Conference will be held May 5 – 15, 2020 in Minneapolis, MN
What we can say for certain is that we will continue to be guided by the same 3 principles by which the Annual Conference is guided, specifically:
- We will continue to pursue our mission
- To bear a faithful Christian witness to Jesus Christ, the living reality at the center of the Church’s life and witness. To fulfill this obligation, we will reflect critically on our biblical and theological inheritance, striving to express faithfully the witness we make in our own time.
- To serve local churches and Conference agencies in their efforts to expand their programs and ministries through effective stewardship of investments and endowment funds, planned giving and church extension loans.
- To assist in equipping congregations to be effective stewards of their God-given resources to expand ministry into the future and impact the kingdom of God
- We will strive for unity within the denomination and the Annual Conference through prayerful thought, word and deed
- We will keep our promises to our investors and to our borrowers
Between now and the Special Session of the General Conference, please join Methodists around the world in stopping – each day from 2:23 to 2:26 (the dates of the Special Session) – to pray for wisdom and guidance as we seek to understand where God will lead us.