We are pleased to announce that the 2019 Foundation Grants awards were allocated at the December Board of Directors meeting of the Virginia United Methodist Foundation and the Virginia United Methodist Development Company. Based on the recommendation of the Grant Committee to the Foundation Board, twenty-six grants were awarded for a total of $81,200. The 2019 awards represent twelve of the sixteen districts across the Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- The Gathering at Scott Memorial UMC, Elizabeth River District: $5000
- Nimmo Garden Ministry at Nimmo UMC, Elizabeth River District: $5000
- Laity Scholarship Fund for VA Five-Day Academy for Spiritual Development: $2500
- Jane Jones Food Pantry, Main Street UMC, Farmville District: $2000
- RISE Kids & Youth at Duncan Memorial UMC, Winchester District: $2500
- Community Outreach Program for Roanoke Literacy through Trinity UMC, Roanoke District: $2500
- Monumental UMC, Elizabeth River District was awarded $3000 for Wednesday Night suppers for the Homeless and Indigent.
- The Wesley Foundation at UVA, Charlottesville District, was awarded $2000 to serve breakfasts to Muslim students during Ramadam because students fast between sunrise and sunset and Dining Halls are not open early enough and students need to eat before Exams.
- Mission Central, Harrisonburg District, was awarded $5000 to help clothe children and buy disposable items such as diapers and underwear.
- Belmont Food and Clothing Ministry at Belmont UMC: $2000
- Just Neighbors, a ministry of Arlington, Eastern Shore, Harrisonburg, Staunton and Lynchburg Districts: $3000.
- Wings Ministry of South Hill UMC, Farmville District: $3000
- Multicultural Certified Nurse Aid Training Program under Grace Ministries of UMC, Arlington District: $5000.
- Feed Kempsville Beach Bag Initiative from St. Andres UMC: $1000
- Wesley Community Service Center, a UMW Mission in Elizabeth River District: $3000
- Redefining Mission: Moving from Outreach to Ministry, James River District: $2700
- Networx SML of Redwood UMC, Danville District, was awarded $1000 to help alleviate poverty and racial divide
- New Song Serves of New Song UMC, Richmond District, was awarded $5000 to help with a Mission Program totaling $56,000.
- Change the World RVA at Bon Air UMC, Richmond District: $1000
- Henry Fork Service Center, Danville District: $1000
- Scottsville UMC, Charlottesville District, was awarded $2000 for a week-end Feeding Program.
- Mission Beach Bags of Baylake UMC, Elizabeth River District: $2000
- Live the Dream of Wesley Grace UMC, Elizabeth River District, was awarded $3000 to help provide a safe place for students isolated at home.
- HELP Health Equipment Loan Program of Grossbrenner UMC and St. James UMC, Staunton District: $2000
- Special Emergency Grant for Basic UMC, Staunton District, was awarded $10,000 to revitalize Basic UMC as they minister to Hispanics and the poor of the area.
- Helping Richmonders Enroll in Medicaid, affiliated with Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy, in the Richmond District was awarded $5000
The Foundation believes in giving back to the community and works diligently to enhance and expand these local ministries. The ultimate goal is to provide assistance, whether it be a one-time grant or a grant that will help a ministry become self-sustaining. We would love to share your efforts and ministry with others across the Virginia Conference. If you would like to be a featured ministry with the Foundation, please contact us so we may share your story
The Virginia United Methodist Foundation and Virginia United Methodist Development Company exist to serve our churches and United Methodist members. Please call us at 804-521-1121 if there is any way we can serve you.
For more information, please contact:
Tommy Herndon, VP, Legacy Planning and Stewardship Development
Virginia United Methodist Foundation
(804) 521 – 1121